Our first of the fun facts about toilets is: a toilet or bathroom goes by different names around the world, including potty, privy, water closet, latrine, dunny, john, can, facility, restroom, washroom, powder room, lavatory, outhouse, convenience, bog, khazi, garderobe, cloakroom, throne room and many more.
Despite its many names, toilets are a part of our daily lives. They play such a role in our lives that we take them for granted. But, did you know… an estimated 2.6 billion people around the world do not have access to a modern toilet? That’s fun fact number two, Keep reading for more.
Since Maid Karma is in the business of keeping things clean (one of those things being toilets), we have to mention that your toilet is actually one of the cleaner things in your bathroom and your in house. There are several areas in your home that contain more germs than your toilet, and they aren’t all in the bathroom. Some may surprise you, and some might even leave you a little disgusted.
Fun Facts About Toilets:
- Where Does the Time Go?: An average person visits the toilet 2500 times a year. That’s about 6-8 times a day. So, we spend about 3 years of our lives in the toilet.
- Bowl Life: The average life expectancy of a toilet is 50 years.
- First Place: The first toilet stall in a row is the least occupied and therefore it is also the cleanest.
- Worthy of Celebration: The World Toilet Organization was founded on 19 November 2001. Since then we celebrate World Toilet Day on November 19 every year..
- Connection Lost: Over 7 million people in the U.S. have admitted to have dropped their cell phones in the toilet bowl.
- Out of This World: The most expensive toilet in the world is fitted in the International Space Station. It costs around 20 million dollars.
- Whodunit?: Who The inventor of the modern toilet is questionable, but, Englishman Alexander Cumming secured the first patent for a flushing toilet in 1775.
- On a Roll: In 1890, the Scot Paper Company became the first manufacturer to use a roll for toilet paper.
- Dethroned Royalty: King George II of Great Britain died falling off of his toilet in 1760! And, nearly 40,000 Americans are injured in toilets every year.
- Super Flush: The toilet is flushed more times during the super bowl halftime than at any time during the year.
- Front or back?: Over $100,000 US dollars was spent on a study to determine whether people put their toilet rolls on the holder with its flap in front or behind. The result: 3 out of 4 individuals will have the flap in front.
- Talking Dirty: Mobiles phones have 18 times bacteria than the toilet handles. And, toilet handles are usually pretty nasty.
Now you know a few fun facts about toilets, including that there is a World Toilet Day. Also, we mentioned that there are areas in your house that have more germs than your toilet. Here’s a complete list 10 Germiest in Your House